Monday, March 29, 2010

Tetrominos Removed Due To Legal Threats

On February 11th, I received a "Cease and Desist" type letter from the lawyers for The Tetris Company/Tetris Holding, LLC. The claim is copyright infringement, although copyright law is very clear that the idea of a game cannot be copyrighted. Regardless, they sent a DMCA take down notice to Google, who was legally required to remove Tetrominos from the Android Market. The good news, is that people who have the game currently installed can keep playing.

At this point, I can either run scared like everyone else that the Tetris company has threatened....or I can file a DMCA counter notice to have my game returned to the Android Market. The only problem, is that the litigious Tetris lawyers will surely file a lawsuit and require me to have to hire lawyers. The problem is that a lawyer will cost more than I'll ever make by selling the game...so it does not make sense from a monetary perspective. However, the question is whether I'm going to risk my own money to do what I think is right. So that is the current state of the situation.

1 comment:

  1. I just had to reset my phone and have lost the most addictive game I had :( - It was great!

    ReplyDelete